Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman just finished a question-and-answer session with the team’s beat writers. Here are some of the highlights:
– Spielman said the team is still negotiating with free agent linebacker Heath Farwell’s agent today and hopes to have a resolution quickly. Spielman essentially said the team has no interest in bringing safety Darren Sharper back.
– Spielman said the team gave restricted free agent Fred Evans the second round tender. We initially reported that Evans got the low tender, but the fact that he received the second round tender all but guarantees that he will return.
– Spielman would not address the Jay Cutler rumors because Cutler is under contract with the Denver Broncos. Asked in general about whether the quarterbacks they have now will be the quarterbacks when the team gets to training camp, Spielman said: “I don’t know. I don’t think you ever paint yourself into, we’re set at this position. What if a great pass rusher comes available? We have Jared Allen. But what if it’s a Jared Allen-type talent.”
– Asked about the team’s interest in Terrell Owens, Spielman said: “You never say never but you can put the pieces together and [Owens'] history with Coach Childress.”
– Spielman also addressed the fact that they haven’t signed a player from another roster in free agency yet. “Every year is different. Just like the draft. You don’t draft the same position every year. It’s not the same players every year in the draft. It’s an ever-changing evolution of players. I think the one thing that fans have to realize is that we have an extremely talented football team with a lot of good parts and pieces. … Everybody says, ‘Well, what’s new?’ Sometimes you don’t want to force something that’s not there just to do it. Because sometimes to me, it ends up being a waste of money.”
– Spielman said the team has not had any free agent visits other than T.J. Houshmandzadeh and don’t currently have any visits scheduled.
We’re still working through the tape of the interview and will add more later.