StarTribune.com

Mitchell agrees to 2-year deal

February 26th, 2009 – 4:41 PM by Judd Zulgad

The Vikings did not offer restricted free agent Jayme Mitchell a tender but the defensive end will be returning to Minnesota. Sidelined by a knee injury suffered in the preseason opener last year against Seattle, Mitchell agreed to a two-year contract with the Vikings on Thursday. Mitchell was expected to be a backup at left end before he was injured.

Mitchell had a base salary of $445,000 last year and he’s believed to have received an increase on that. Mitchell joined the Vikings in 2006 and played in 13 games after signing as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Mississippi.

The Vikings did make tender offers to restricted free agents Fred Evans and fullback Naufahu Tahi. Defensive end Otis Grigsby did not receive an offer.

“I’m very excited,” Mitchell said. “It’s a great feeling to have this done and I’m very appreciative.”

Mitchell said his left knee feels good and he will be ready to go for offseason workouts.

Update: Just talked to Grigsby’s agent, Curtis Stephens. He confirmed his client did not receiver an offer from the Vikings and thus Grigsby will be an unrestricted free agent. “We anticipate there will be a market for his skillset,” Stephens said of Grigsby. Grigsby was impressive in training camp last year but only played in nine games (one start) and had two tackles.

 

Comments are closed.

Access Vikings

Join Vikings beat writers Judd Zulgad and Chip Scoggins on a usually informative and often irreverent journey inside the Vikings.

Just like the NFL, Zulgad and Scoggins go at it all year long -- on and off the field.