July 30th, 2008 – 11:46 AM by Chip Scoggins
MANKATO — The Vikings just completed their morning practice. Here are some notes:
- DE Ray Edwards practiced and took part in individual drills. He did not do team work, but he said his back feels good. He is not going to take part in the practice against Kansas City tomorrow, but he may do more hitting on Friday or early next week, depending on how his back responds.
- Linebacker Heath Farwell had a solid practice. He had two interceptions, although one came on a pass that was tipped by Chester Taylor and should have been caught. He also had two nice stops at the line of scrimmage, one against Adrian Peterson.
- Cornerback Benny Sapp continues to make plays. He had a interesting time in a 1-on-1 drill with wide receivers. Sapp had two interceptions by jumping the route. But he then bit on a double move by Darius Reynaud, leading to a wide open touchdown. Nate Jones tried a double move on Sapp moments later but it didn’t work. Sapp blanketed Jones, but the rookie wide receive hauled in an over-the-shoulder 50-yard pass from Tarvaris Jackson while falling down for the play of the day.
- Defensive tackle Ellie Wyms got a few reps at left end in a situational package.
- As Judd reported today, right tackle Marcus Johnson got some reps with the first team in place of Ryan Cook. That could become an interesting competition.
- Guard Artis Hicks got reps with the second-team at left tackle in a team drill late in practice. Chase Johnson has taken most of the reps through camp, but it sounds like Hicks would be the guy to step in if Bryant McKinnie faces suspension from the NFL.
- Rookie linebacker J Leman intercepted a Brooks Bollinger pass into traffic late in practice.
- Aundrae Allison is getting more reps as the staff tries to limit Bobby Wade’s workload. Allison has looked pretty good at times but offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said he just needs to stay within the system.
The team practices against at 2:45. We’ll check in later.