February 29th, 2008 – 3:59 PM by Judd Zulgad
… from the Tapeh news conference. A few tidbits:
- Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman confirmed that WR Bernard Berrian and S Madieu Williams are in town. Both are undergoing physicals. Williams has a deal that is expected to become official once he passes the physical — he has agreed to a six-year contract — and Berrian negotiations are likely taking place.
- It sounds like Williams and Berrian will continue meeting with coaches and other staff members through Saturday, meaning that no formal announcement on either player’s signing is expected before then.
- As the QB crop continued to dwindle — QB Josh McCown signed today with Miami — Spielman said the Vikings won’t stop exploring trade and free agency options for a backup. But he also noted the Vikings have nine draft choices in the 2008 draft and that they would not be disappointed if they ended up drafting for quarterback depth.
- Tapeh, the St. Paul native and former Gophers tailback, said: “I left here a boy and came back a man.” He won bonus points from Access Vikings for teasing Sid incessantly. Tapeh was already scheduled to be in town this week for a charity gala thrown by the Barber family.
- Vikings coach Brad Childress steered clear of saying anything about the Vikings’ decision to let go of FB Tony Richardson. It was interesting that Richardson and Tapeh were on the same flight from Philadelphia to the Midwest this week and got an opportunity to talk.